I hired a former associate to drive with me on one of my business trips 25 or so years ago in Nigeria, to deliver veterinary pharmaceuticals (can't simply say drugs now,for it means something else these days!) to a prominent poultry breeding company. Unfortunately, there were police checkpoints every few miles all the way to our destination. As we hit the freeway out of our city, I prayed and asked God to grant us free passage throughout this 8 hour journey to and also all the way back the next day and for Him to protect us. As we went along, we got stopped at every single checkpoint with these officers asking for a bribe as they do in many corrupt nations. I continously introduced myself at every checkpoint as a servant of God who will never give a bribe and I offered to pray for the officers instead. Every checkpoint, every time, the officers took off their hats, bowed their heads and asked me to bless them. I was chuffed, really, because I knew God was showing my driver it is possible to live holy and uncorrupted in the midst of the greatest perversity. The next day in the morning as we left the hotel for our return journey, I prayed the same prayer and in addition, I asked God to protect us as the weather was very downcast and called for torrential rain. If you have ever witnessed an African torrential rainfall at the height of its rainy season, you don't want to be on any road driving in it but we had to get home that day.
We were passing through the now empty checkpoints without the police who had been driven away by the ridiculously heavy rain. Even for that part of the world, this rain was not just heavy, it was outright scary.
At one point, my driver could no longer see anything and then suddenly we were face to face with a juggernaut semi tractor trailer bearing down on us. We escaped by inches and he pulled up on the verge. Another semi coming from behind going our direction missed us by only inches since he too did not see us. When we rolled the window down, we saw we were a few feet from rolling into a deep gorge on a roadside with no protection on the sides and treetops down the slope were barely visible.
Well, my guy jumped out of the car, ran round to my side and asked me to move over and drive because he was done. I moved over and then asked him to calm down so I can ask God for clear weather. Well, he had been dying to ask me about the free passage yesterday, which I was waiting for him to ask. Now, he simply bowed his head as I prayed a one sentence 10 second prayer, "Father, you made the firmaments, the heavens and the earth! Please stop this rain and give us fair weather in Jesus' Name!. Amen."
Before my guy coud say Amen, just like a faucet turned off, in an instant the rain stopped, the skies cleared and the sun came forth, bright, shiny. Even the air smelled washed and clean!, just like that.
Folks, my friend who I call Mr. D, he burst into tears, he asked me, how do I receive this Jesus who did all this. I held his hand on that roadside in my old imported Honda Accord and led my friend to Christ!
When jesus walked on water, even his disciples were afraid but He is Lord over all things. What manner of man is Jesus, Hallelujah.
Psalm 19:1-6 says all heavens declare the glory of our God. He is worthy and if you don't know or have not entrusted your life to Him, you don't know what you are missing. This is our God. Our God is not the religious God who is just for show, He is the omnipotent potentate. Check out how even nature sings of the glory of God in this awesome video by Louie Giglio.
Stay thoroughly blessed. http://youtu.be/IB835wkz1Tc
Pastor Sam Gbenro
No comments:
Post a Comment